Recipe for matar paneer:-
Matar Paneer is a popular North Indian dish. There are many recipes to make matar paneer but this time I have shared a dhaba style or desi style easy matar paneer recipe. In Indian homes, it is made in winters when fresh peas (matar) are available. By using frozen peas matar paneer can be enjoyed throughout the year. In this Dhaba style matar paneer recipe I am not going to use any cream or cashews. It is going to be easy in desi style.
This Dhaba style matar paneer can be a good choice when you are preparing a special vegetarian meal. It can be served with garlic naan, phulka, paratha, or rice.
Let’s make this recipe step by step:-
- Preparation time- 10 minutes
- Cooking time- 25- 30 minutes
- Serving- 4
Ingredients for matar paneer recipe:-
For fried paneer:-
- 200 gm paneer
- Oil for frying
- 2 tbsp ghee/oil
- 1 Bay leaf (optional)
- 2-3 cloves (optional)
- 5 to 6 whole black pepper (optional)
- 1 Black cardamom (optional)
- 2 medium-size onion
- 2-3 medium-size tomato (puree)
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste/finely chopped
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder (kashmiri red chili powder for colour or if you like more spicy matar paneer you can add red chili powder)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 200 gm (1 cup) fresh boiled green peas/frozen green peas
Recipe for matar paneer:-
- Heat a pan and add 2 tbsp oil/ghee. Add paneer cubes into the oil and fry them until golden brown. In this recipe I have shallow fried paneer cubes to ensure that the recipe is on the healthier side. You can deep fry paneer cubes also.
If you have a non-stick pan, just by greasing the pan with oil/ghee you can roast your paneer cubes as I did. ( For non-stick pan that I use visit amazon)
2. In a pan or Kadai heat 2 tbsp ghee/oil and add cloves, black cardamom, bay leaf, and black pepper. Let them crackle, and the whole spices will release their aroma in the oil.
Add chopped onion and ginger-garlic paste, and saute until onion gets golden colour.
Make sure the onion gets golden- brown colour and spices are well roasted with onion.( This is a very important step if spices are not cooked well matar paneer gravy will not give a good colour).
Add turmeric, coriander powder red chili powder, and roast onion with these spices for 2-3 minutes.
At this time add fresh tomato puree, and salt to taste.
3. Cook tomato puree and onion until it is cooked or the ghee/oil starts coming out from this mixture. ( Releasing oil from the mixture means it is properly cooked).
At this time add green peas and saute for a minute. Then add some water. Keep this gravy to thicken side. Cook peas or matar for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add fried paneer cubes into this gravy and cook for further 4-5 minutes.
5. Switch off the flame and serve hot in a bowel.